CPHIMS Review Course
Registration Limited to 40 Participants!
All healthcare organizations recruit and promote employees who obtain and maintain certifications to validate their knowledge and competency– this is also true for healthcare informatics. The Northern California Chapter of the Health Information Management & Systems Society (HIMSS) - the global leader for this field - is offering a review course for the Certified Professional in Health Information & Management Systems (CPHIMS) certification which is recognized as the “premier” professional certification in health information technology (HIT). To help our members, a limited number of scholarships are available on a first-come, first-served basis for the CPHIMS review course and the CPHIMS certification examination (see below for details).
Benefits of CPHIMS Certification
- Demonstrate that you meet an industry standard of professional knowledge and competence in healthcare information and management systems
- Increase credibility with your employer
- Distinguish yourself and expand your career opportunities
- Gain a sense of personal and professional achievement
- Show commitment to lifelong learning and professional development
- Join a network of CPHIMS certified professionals across the globe
- Either a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university and five years of information and management systems experience, with three of those years in a healthcare setting
- OR a post-graduate degree from an accredited college or university and have three years of information and management systems experience, with two of those years in a healthcare setting.
Who Should Attend?
Any interdisciplinary healthcare professionals including, but not limited to:
- HIT Leadership, CXO, Managers, Analysts
- Clinicians, CMIO, CNIO, CXIO
- Students targeting HIT careers
- IT/IS healthcare consultants
- Nurses, Pharmacists
- Data Analysts
CPHIMS Review Course Content and Agenda
The CPHIMS Review Course is an excellent body of health IT knowledge that spans three broad categories covering nine topic areas including: General Environmental Knowledge (Healthcare Environment and Technology Environment; Systems Knowledge (Analysis, Design, Selection, Implementation, Support and Maintenance, Testing and Evaluation, Privacy and Security; and Administrative Knowledge (Leadership and Management). This Review Course will provide a highly interactive and fast-paced detailed overview of these competency areas by supplementing tools and resources from a variety of sources to aid in the knowledge transfer process. The review course qualifies for 6.25 HIMSS CEUs.
The daylong review course includes breakfast, breaks, lunch and reception. Two weeks prior to the course day you will receive the course syllabus and review course materials in digital formats. It is strongly advised that you print these materials and bring them with you. Power supplies for computers will be limited.
Dak Systems Consulting
San Mateo, CA
Deborah Kohn has over thirty years of healthcare provider organization management and information technology experience. This includes several years in hospital management, in systems design and marketing with one of the nation's leading suppliers of healthcare information systems, and in information technology advisory and strategy consulting.
At the completion of the course, the participant will be able to:
- Describe the various components of the CPHIMS Body of Knowledge.
- Articulate the opportunities and challenges in the healthcare environment, while addressing the technological components needed to deliver patient care.
- Describe the components of the implementation development life cycle in a healthcare setting by identifying those concepts required from initial inception of an idea through implementation.
- Discuss the components required to support and maintain those who use software applications in a healthcare setting.
- Discuss the current state of privacy and security challenges and opportunities in healthcare today.
- Describe the importance of the many administrative aspects of health IT from the perspective of protecting health information to ensuring that the leadership and management functions of the healthcare setting are identified and understood.
- Implement studying and test taking skills and tips that may be utilized to further prepare the student for taking the exam.
|7:30 am - 8:15 am||Registration and Networking Breakfast|
|8:15 am - 12:30 pm||Review Course (with a break in the morning)|
|12:30 pm - 1:15 pm||Lunch|
|1:15 pm - 4:00 pm||Review Course (with a break in the afternoon)|
|4:00 pm - 4:30 pm||Wrap up|
|4:30 pm – 6:00 pm||Networking Reception|
CPHIMS Review Course: These scholarships cover 100% of the costs of the chapter's June 9th, 2017 CPHIMS Review Course and will be awarded to the first twenty Affiliate, Corporate, Chapter or National HIMSS members from our chapter territory who enroll in the course and meet the application requirements of CPHIMS certification above. These scholarships are only for the review course. Membership level will be verified.
CPHIMS Exam Fees: These scholarships will reimburse 50% ($150) of the CPHIMS Exam costs to the first ten students who prove they passed the exam within 45 days after the course and notify the Northern California HIMSS Chapter Education Committee. Send proof to Joanne at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Taking the Exam
You should consider taking the CPHIMS Exam soon after completing the Review Course. To register for the CPHIMS Exam, follow the instructions here on HIMSS.org.
- $300 regular individual, corporate or student member
- $270 Organizational Affiliate or Academic Organizational Affiliate member
- $375 non-member
Once you are approved to take the exam, you will be referred to the Prometric Testing Site for scheduling. You will receive your test score before leaving the test center.
With Sincere Thanks to USF for their Partnership