CPHIMS Review Course
International Technological University
2711 N 1st St.
San Jose, CA 95134
Parking is limited. There is a free lot monitored by campus security staff. The University is not responsible for any damages that may occur to a person’s vehicle while parked at the 2711 N. First St Campus. Parking in adjacent private parking lots is prohibited and may be subject to towing and impound.
Increasingly, healthcare organizations recruit and promote employees who obtain and maintain certifications that validate their knowledge and competency, including healthcare informatics. The Northern California Chapter of the Healthcare Information Management & Systems Society (HIMSS) - the global leader in this field - is offering a review course for the Certified Professional in Healthcare Information & Management Systems (CPHIMS) certification, which is recognized as the “premier” professional certification in health information technology (HIT).
- a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university and five years of information and management systems experience, with three of those years in a healthcare setting
- a post-graduate degree from an accredited college or university and three years of information and management systems experience, with two of those years in a healthcare setting.
Students must meet eligibility requirements.
Benefits of CPHIMS Certification
- Demonstrate that you meet an industry standard of professional knowledge and competence in healthcare information and management systems
- Increase credibility with your employer
- Distinguish yourself and expand your career opportunities
- Gain a sense of personal and professional achievement
- Show commitment to lifelong learning and professional development
- Join a network of CPHIMS certified professionals across the globe
Who Should Attend?
Any interdisciplinary healthcare professionals including, but not limited to:
- HIT Leadership, CXO, Managers, Analysts
- Clinicians, CMIO, CNIO, CXIO
- Students targeting HIT careers
- IT/IS healthcare consultants and professionals
- Nurses, Pharmacists
- Data Analysts
Review Course Fees
- Non-member Price: $150
- Member Price: $55
- CAHIMS Members: $50
- Student Price: $80 - This is includes one year membership to the Northern California Chapter of HiMSS
CPHIMS Review Course Content and Agenda
The CPHIMS Review Course is a body of health IT knowledge developed by HIMSS that spans three broad knowledge categories and covers nine areas of competency including: General Environmental Knowledge (Healthcare Environment and Technology Environment); Systems Knowledge (Analysis, Design, Selection, Implementation, Support and Maintenance, Testing and Evaluation, Privacy and Security); and Administrative Knowledge (Leadership and Management). This Review Course provides a highly interactive, fast-paced, and detailed overview of these competency areas by supplementing tools and resources from a variety of sources to aid in the knowledge transfer process. The review course qualifies for 6.25 HIMSS CEUs.
The daylong review course includes breakfast, breaks, lunch, and a reception. Two weeks prior to the course day you will receive the course syllabus and review course materials in digital formats. It is strongly advised that you print these materials and bring them with you. Power supplies for computers will be limited.
At the completion of the course, the participant will be able to:
- Describe the various components of the CPHIMS Body of Knowledge.
- Articulate the opportunities and challenges in the healthcare environment while addressing the technological components needed to deliver patient care.
- Describe the components of the implementation development life cycle in a healthcare setting by identifying those concepts required from initial inception of an idea through implementation.
- Discuss the components required to support and maintain those who use software applications in a healthcare setting.
- Discuss the current state of privacy and security challenges and opportunities in healthcare today.
- Describe the importance of the many administrative aspects of health IT from the perspective of protecting health information to ensuring that the leadership and management functions of the healthcare setting are identified and understood.
- Implement studying and test taking skills and tips that can be utilized to further prepare the student for taking the exam.
8:30 am - 9:15 am Registration and Networking Breakfast
9:15 am - 1:00 pm Review Course (with a break in the morning)
1:00 pm - 2:00 pm Lunch
2:00 pm - 5:00 pm Review Course (with a break in the afternoon)
5:00 pm - 5:30 pm Wrap up
Principal, Dak Systems Consulting, San Mateo, CA
Deborah Kohn has forty years of healthcare provider organization management and information technology experience. This includes several years in hospital management, in systems design and marketing with one of the nation's leading suppliers of healthcare information systems, and in information technology advisory and strategy consulting.
International Technological University
2711 N 1st St
San Jose, CA 95134
Upon arrival, attendees will be directed to room.
Public Transportation: ITU is conveniently located near the Bonaventura stop on the Santa Clara Valley Transportation line.
Individual: Joining HIMSS at the national level includes membership to the local chapter as an individual and costs $199.
Organizational Affiliate: If your enterprise is an Organizational Affiliate, such as a healthcare provider, agency, or academic institution, it has unlimited individual memberships, each with a 10% discount for the CPHIMS exam.
Corporate Membership: Corporate membership includes a limited number of free memberships depending on the level of membership. Check with your company to see if you qualify.
Academic Organizational Affiliate: If your educational institution is a HIMSS Academic Organizational Affiliate, that institution has unlimited individual student memberships and five free faculty memberships.