Fall 2016 Newsletter ♦ Advocacy Committee Update
By Shanti C. Wilson and Ian Slade
With over 50 chapters across the United States, HIMSS helps connect members with local, state and national decision-makers on key Health IT (HIT) issues. For the Golden State of California, Northern and Southern chapters have come together, representing over 5,000 members, to create a unified voice to better address state-wide issues.
Our Advocacy Committee activities include:
* National Health IT Week to raise awareness and recognize the value of HIT (September 2016).
* Collaborating with National HIMSS to advocate for HIT legislation.
* Coordinating with California legislators to educate and advocate for HIT legislation.
* Statewide Health IT Day to educate and hear from industry leaders on HIT topics and meet with our legislators (May 2017).
This year, the Advocacy Committee is happy to introduce its new line-up! If you are interested in joining, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please join us in welcoming our team:
- Shanti Wilson, MBA, PMP is a Board Member at Large and the Health IT Advocacy Chair for Northern California. She is a consultant at Freed Associates with over 15 years dedicated to supporting state, federal and private healthcare organizations meet their goals. Shanti believes advocacy provides the information legislators need to do the right thing and make a difference in our lives.
- John Conklin is the Health IT Advocacy Chair for Southern California. He is an experienced HIT professional with 20 years combined leadership in product management, R&D and client interaction for regulated healthcare and medical technology solutions. John welcomes the opportunity to work with public officials and entities to help shape and convey well-defined programs and policies that facilitate improved quality of life and health of individuals through the use of technology.
- Dr. Larry Ozeran is the Health IT Advocacy Co-Chair for Northern California. He has been a software developer and trauma / general surgeon with a longstanding involvement in health policy, each for more than two decades. He identifies with: "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke." The next step for him has been the HIMSS Advocacy Committee, because he can.
- Ian Slade, RN, MBA, PMP is the HIMSS Western Region Vice Chair and President Elect for Southern California. He is the Managing Partner for I&T Consulting Group, LLC and a healthcare innovator and advocate. From the patients’ bedside to the halls of Capitol Hill, Ian has spent the past 17 years supporting and advocating for patients and healthcare providers in various settings.
- Martha Dameron is the past Public Policy Chair, CAR Chair, Northern California Advocacy Chair and is currently Advisor to the Northern California Chapter Board. She is the Director of the Clinical Information Services Department at St. Helena Hospital in St. Helena, California. She has a personal pursuit within healthcare communities to support charities that support children with life-long illness.
- Geri Pavia is the Chair of the Southern California Chapter’s Second Annual HIMSS Charity Golf Event, supporting Make-A-Wish® Orange County and the Inland Empire. She is a Strategic Healthcare Consultant, spending the last 12 years of her career in healthcare with a primary focus on assisting Healthcare Acute Centers implement and execute EMR initiatives.
- Mike McAlpen is a Board Member at Large and the Speakers Co-Lead for the Statewide Health IT Day. He is a CISO and Head of International Data Security, Regulatory Law Compliance and related Corporate Risk at 8x8, Inc., the largest International Hosted Enterprise UC VoIP. Mike is also a member of multiple privacy and security boards and councils nationally.
- Danica Ramos is a Speaker Coordinator for Southern California. She is a Business Analyst Intern at Kaiser Permanente Orange County. Her passion for community health and healthcare innovation has led her to pursue a career as a HIT professional.
- Christine Sublett is the HIMSS Legislation Lead for the Statewide Health IT Day. She is the President and Principal Consultant at Sublett Consulting and a security, privacy and information protection professional with over 25 years in the healthcare technology industry. She joined the Advocacy Committee to influence government and represent the critical interests of our members.