Spring 2018 Newsletter - Health IT Advocacy Updates
By Shanti Wilson, Vice Chair, Western Region Advocacy, HIMSS NorCal Advocacy Chair
As the State legislature started session in early January, our joint HIMSS Northern and Southern California Advocacy team started monitoring Health IT legislation. Below are some of the bills the team is currently assessing for potential areas to focus on during our upcoming State HIT Day on May 16.
SB199 - Senator Ed Hernandez: Health Cost and Quality
- Establishes advisory committee that includes reviewing IT to improve quality and reduce cost
AB1136 - Susan Eggman: Health Facilities/Residential/Mental Substance Use Disorder Treatment
- CDPH to solicit a 21st century CURES act to collect and display information about mental health patients and treatment facilities, require a database to be created to collect and track data
SB485 - Senator Jim Nielsen and Josh Newman: Veteran Homes
- Implement statewide EHR for veteran homes
AB2935 - Ed Chau: Health Information Privacy/ Digital Commercial Health Monitoring
- Prohibits an operator of a commercial health monitoring program from sharing, selling, or disclosing individually identifiable health monitoring information to 3rd parties without the consumer’s affirmative consent.
SB1403 - Senator Ricardo Lara: Health Information Exchange / Privacy and Security
- Would make nonsubstantive changes in the law that sets forth procedures relating to the adoption of Health Information Exchange regulations within the Office of Health Information Integrity.
Please join us on May 16 in Sacramento at our 2018 State HIT Day to learn more about these types of bills and how the industry is implementing other bills. Register now before seats fill up!