Summer 2018 Newsletter - Sacramento Meetup: Information Security in Healthcare
By Evelyn Milani, Education Committee, Sacramento MeetUp Chair
The Sacramento Information Security MeetUp had over 60 people in attendance, and consisted of executives, service providers to the industry, innovators, and clinicians. We met at a beautiful venue at Shriners Hospital for Children, and Experis provided a lovely catered experience.
The high performance panel was moderated by Kevin Spease, Managing Partner at ISSE Services, and featured the following panelists:
- Monte Ratzlaff, Cyber Risk Program Manager, UC Office of the President
- Jason Elrod, Chief Information Security Architect, Executive Director, Privacy and Information Security, Sutter Health
- John Hainaut, Vice President, Information Security, Experis
Attendees were treated to a lively panel who discusses the impact of security for improved patient outcomes and what the biggest current threats are. The takeaways include:
- The industry's need for speed and agility to adopt to change.
- The mindset that funding that comes with an "event," and the need to take a proactive approach.
- The integration and value of DevOps in orchestrating an automated, repeatable process for security measures in the healthcare environment.
- Ransomware is the biggest current threat to the healthcare security ecosystem.
- Comprised email is becoming more of a threat as is "smishing,” i.e. text message phishing.
- AI and machine learning will bring a whole host of new threats to the healthcare environment and a response plan must be well-thought out.
- Healthcare may be a part of a new kind of warfare.
The audience was participative with thoughtful questions and our moderator, Kevin Spease was as engaging as ever!
Thank you all who attended! We look forward to seeing up at our upcoming meetup events next year!