Fall 2018 Newsletter
Happy Holidays HIMSS NorCal Members!
What a year it has been so far! This has been a very busy past few months for most of us, especially for the HIMSS NorCal Chapter. We have only just recently wrapped up our Annual CxO Summit, our first educational program of the year, co-chaired by Nick Steinbach and Sherri Douville. This incredible event brought together a spectrum of industry leaders and experts in policy tech and medicine to show us how to apply tools like analytics, security, mobile, and innovation to drive the transformation needed to improve patient outcomes and reduce costs to allow us to respond to urgent policy and payment shifts. Check out the highlights in the article below!
Highlights from the HIMSS NorCal CxO Summit: Facing Disruption Head On
Healthcare IT enthusiasts came together on October 16 at the HIMSS NorCal CxO Summit in Santa Clara to be inspired and learn from experts in the field about best practices associated with this year’s theme “Facing Disruption Head On.” If you were not able to join us then, here are some highlights that you may have missed.
We were extremely honored to hear from John Chambers, Chairman Emeritus at Cisco, Founder and also now a VC at JC Ventures. He was interviewed by Sherri Douville, CEO of Medigram and CXO Co-Chair. John shared insights gained during his successful 20 year career as Cisco’s CEO, then Chairman of the Board. John led Cisco to become an innovative IT powerhouse, growing revenue from $70M in 2005 to $47B in 2015. As an experienced leader, he has an eye for spotting and shaping startups that have the potential to become the next Cisco.
Don’t Miss Our Upcoming 2019 Meetups!
We have two exciting meetups in the new year that you should not miss!
We are very excited to announce our first meetup ever serving our North Bay community on January 10 at La Rosa Restaurant in downtown Santa Rosa. Break out of the day-to-day grind and enjoy an evening out with other professionals committed to advancing healthcare information technology. This casual social event is an opportunity to forge new relationships and build a thriving network. Step away from your desk and get (re)connected! As the first HIMSS NorCal Chapter meet-up specifically for North Bay professionals, your participation will be foundational to building a local HIT community – without the commute to SF. Let’s do this! RSVP here: http://meetu.ps/e/G7nj6/vsjdD/f
For our Sacramento based community, join us at our next meetup on January 24 at Shriners Hospitals for Children, where the focus will be: Cybersecurity / Device Management in the Healthcare Setting. We hope to inform and inspire attendees on this topic in order to further the improvement of safe and secure solutions for better patient outcomes. Gain insights on what our thought leaders are implementing, thinking about, and ruminating over. This panel discussion will be moderated by Michael McCune, Cybersecurity Development, and features:
- Monte Ratzlaff, Cyber-Risk Program, UC Office of the President
- Jason Elrod, Chief Security Architect, Sutter Health
- David Finn, EVP, Innovation for CynergisTEK (formerly of Symantec)
- Marcus Grindstaff, COO, Care Innovations
RSVP for our Sacramento Meetup here: http://meetu.ps/e/G7n9b/vsjdD/f
As always, entry to our community based meetups is free. Just make sure you RSVP on the Meetup. Hope to see you in the New Year!
7th Annual Innovation Conference & Showcase: The Blueprint for Putting Patients at the Center of APIs
Save the date for our 7th Annual Innovation Conference and Showcase on March 19, 2019 at ITU in San Jose, CA!
Making health data useful to patients is a national priority—and the APIs needed to realize this goal by facilitating data sharing and consumer access are rapidly finding regulatory and market commitment. Is your organization ready to meet the demand? Join us to discuss how to build and advance the tools and capabilities you will need for laying a technical foundation of engaging interfaces to make data available to patients and drive high-value interactions with them. What’s more -- we’ll share a state of the industry update on consumer-directed exchange and showcase promising efforts around the bend from leaders in the industry to help point the way forward.
- Learn how you can support and encourage broad adoption of openly accessible APIs to rapidly advance the ability for consumers and their authorized caregivers to easily get, use, and share digital health information when, where, and how they want it.
- Understand the business case for implementing consumer APIs and leveraging them to expand the reach of your organization.
- Prepare your organization for policy implications around consumer controlled APIs—get up to speed on what's required and get started with a plan to meet those requirements.
- Learn how to leverage standards and safeguards to support patient access, while preserving privacy, security, and patient preferences.
- Explore ways to promote better electronic access to a consumer’s clinical and payment information via third party applications by engaging with startups and developers.
- Create new ways for providers to engage and connect with patients and enrich clinical workflows by bringing pertinent health data into focus to facilitate increased patient empowerment and shared decision making between providers and patients.
Registration will open soon!
Beyond Brick and Mortar: Busting Down the Barriers to Healthcare
The date for the 2019 ePatient Summit has been set! Join us on April 25, 2019 at Salesforce East in downtown San Francisco!
Preliminary Topics include:
- Innovative technology-driven transportation partnerships
- Voice-enabled patient/provider interactions
- Innovative ways to receive care (ie: virtual triage, chatbot, call doctor to your door via app)
- Social determinants of health and how technology is making it possible
- Evolution of healthcare
Registration will open soon!
Spotlight: Jason Johnson, President-Elect
Congratulations to Jason Johnson, our Chapter’s President-Elect, for earning the designation of Fellow Member of HIMSS! The FHIMSS designation is awarded to professionals who are actively taking a leadership role in advancing healthcare IT. It distinguishes one’s commitment to having a positive impact on the healthcare industry overall. Jason has been active in the Northern California Chapter since 2015. He currently serves on the Finance Committee and as a Programs Adviser in addition to his responsibilities as the President-Elect. As Information Security Officer at Marin General Hospital, Jason is responsible for information security, hospital communications infrastructure and user experience projects. In addition to FHIMSS designation, Jason holds a CISSP certification, several Microsoft certifications and a BLS certification. We are proud and thankful to have such a committed professional leading Chapter initiatives!