Winter 2018 Newsletter - Want change? Get involved with HIMSS Advocacy
By Shanti Wilson, Vice Chair, Western Region Advocacy, HIMSS NorCal Advocacy Chair
HIMSS North America represents 70,000 individual members, 630 corporate members, and over 450 non-profit organizations and has over 5,000 right here in California. HIMSS supports connecting its members with state, regional, and national decision-makers on key health IT issues. With our political landscape being more divisive than most can remember, advocacy is a bi-partisan effort focused on improving the lives of all through health IT. There are many ways you can impact your community through advocacy. Below are 10-ways to get involved:
- Invite state and federal legislators and district staff on tours of your healthcare facility.
- Schedule meetings with members of Congress and state legislators in their district offices.
- Make advocacy a priority in your healthcare organization. Discuss how legislation impacts you and your patients.
- Hold educational events and invite legislators to your events on health IT.
- Submit an article on health IT progress to the Northern and/or Southern Chapters.
- Weigh in on current issues - YOUR OPINION COUNTS!
- Attend State HIT Day – May 16, 2018 in Sacramento, CA
- Volunteer with HIMSS Advocacy
- Follow up with legislators and correspondents you contacted and/or visited.
- Write your legislator in support or opposition of a health IT bill.
Your HIMSS Advocacy team is here to support you. If you need help, have questions, or advocated on an issue, please contact us: